Nuffnang

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Pork with ginger, spring onion and steamed aubergine

When I saw this recipe, I was chuckling to myself. If Yotam Ottolenghi sees what my mum usually cooks for what is considered as a simple fare dinner, it is definitely his kind of thing.

This recipe is perfect for lazy bummers like me. One dish meal to be cooked and mixed with grains or rice, perfect I would say. See my modifications in blue.

Ingredients:

60g raw peanuts  I omitted this as I'm allergic to peanuts
3 medium aubergines, cut into 3cm dice
Salt
60ml groundnut oil
2 bunches spring onions, trimmed and chopped on the diagonal into 3cm slices
60g peeled ginger, julienned
4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 green chilli, finely sliced
500g pork mince
4 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp dark soy sauce I used light soya sauce instead
2 tbsp kecap manis
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
10g coriander, roughly chopped
1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

Method:
  1. Heat the oven to 140C/285F/gas mark 1. Spread the peanuts on a small baking tray and roast for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove, set aside and, once cool, chop roughly.
  2. Put the aubergines in a large bowl with two teaspoons of salt. Mix well, then tip into a colander over the bowl and leave for two hours at least 30 minutes. Shake the colander to remove any excess liquid, pat the aubergine dry in a tea towel and return to the colander.
  3. Steam the aubergine for about 8 minutes and leave it in the pan for the next 2 minutes or so.
  4. While the aubergines are steaming, pour half the groundnut oil into a large sauté pan and put on a high heat. Add the spring onion, ginger, garlic and chilli, and fry for four minutes, stirring often, until the garlic starts to colour. Tip into a small bowl and set aside.
  5. Pour the remaining oil into the pan and add the pork mince. Fry for three minutes, stirring to break up the meat. Add the mirin, soy, kecap manis, sesame oil, rice vinegar and half a teaspoon of salt, cook for two minutes, then tip the spring onion and garlic mixture back into the pan. Cook for a minute more, then remove from the heat – there should be plenty of liquid in the pan – and stir through the coriander and peanuts the aubergine which is drained.
  6. I added the pork mince mixture to some garlic fluffed quinoa I made. Then I just mixed everything together for a good mixture.







We both enjoyed it alot. It was like comfort food at its best. Do try it because I'm sure you will get alot of satisfied faces after that :) Well, Mr G showed me his :P

I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs Potluck for this month.

No comments: